7 Tips to Help You Handle Rainy Days Behind the Wheel
At some point, every driver in Illinois and Wisconsin has to deal with rainy weather. But, many don’t know what to do, so they just drive as they normally would.
However, with slick roads, flooded streets and reduced visibility, that can be a recipe for disaster. So instead, follow these simple tips for safer rainy day travels.
1. Stay visible. Turn on your headlights so you can see — and be seen — more easily.
2. Be patient. Give yourself more time to get where you’re going, and give people more room. Increase your following distance two to three times.
3. Expect slippery conditions. Rain often combines with oil and grease buildup to create slick roadways. Not to mention you can hydroplane — meaning your tires are riding on water instead of pavement — at speeds of as little as 35 mph. If it happens, slow down, gently apply your brakes and keep steering straight ahead.
4. Check your car’s systems. How are your wipers? Do your blades need to be replaced? What about your defroster? Driving in the rain is hard enough; don’t do it with fogged-up windows, too.
5. Inspect your tires. Are they inflated properly? Do you have enough tread? Put an upside-down penny into the tread. If you can see Lincoln’s entire head, you probably need new tires.
6. Never drive in flooded areas. In a flood, it won’t take much water to sweep you away, believe it or not — just 12 inches for a smaller car or 24 inches for almost any vehicle, according to the National Weather Service, which advises, “turn around, don’t drown.”
7. Get – or stay – off the road. When conditions are really bad, pull over and take a break. Or, if you can, just stay home. You’ll probably be happier to stay out of the weather, anyway! And you’re certainly likely to be safer.
With a little extra care, you can help keep your car on the road and your rainy day blues to a minimum even while traveling in wet conditions. And, as always, if something does go wrong, we’re here to help guide you through it.
Contact us for all of your insurance needs!
Buffalo Grove, Lincolnshire, and Wheeling residents, at R Hobbs Insurance Agency, we can work with you to make sure you've got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call at (847) 680-0888 or send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what's important to you is protected!
Content source: Safeco
Photo by Ashwini Chaudhary on Unsplash