The Right Car Seat for Your Child
Infant-only, convertible, all-in-one – many soon-to-be parents in Illinois and Wisconsin don’t know where to begin when it comes to car seats. And, each choice has advantages and disadvantages.
Here are five things to keep in mind, from shopping to installation, to help you find the right seat for your precious cargo:
1. Know the pros and cons of each seat type. Children usually outgrow infant-only seats within the first year. However, they offer a snug fit and allow you to quickly snap the baby carrier in and out. Convertible seats and all-in-ones have a longer life, but they sometimes aren’t as convenient. Both transform into forward-facing seats, and an all-in-one seat becomes a booster, as well.
2. Know when to use each type. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends using a rear-facing seat for as long as possible — through 12 months of age, at minimum. After kids reach the limits of rear-facing seats, often between ages 1-3, switch to forward-facing. When they outgrow those, usually between ages 4-7, it’s time for a booster. Finally, when a seat belt fits properly without a booster, your child is done with special seats! (They should still ride in back, though.)
3. Don’t accept a used car seat unless you know everything about it. It should be within its service life (look for the expiration in the manual or on the seat) and not have been involved in an accident that caused injuries or forced air bags to deploy. And, of course, it should not be included in any recalls.
4. Before you install, read the instructions. Seats should be secured in the back seat with anchors or a seat belt. When you’re done, get a free inspection to check your handiwork, if possible.
5. Check the fit. Harness straps should be flat and placed through the slot either at or below your child’s shoulders (rear-facing) or at or above the shoulders (forward-facing). When the harness and chest clip are secured, make sure no extra material can be pinched at the shoulder.
Knowing your child is secure in the back seat helps you focus on distraction-free driving in the front. Your car insurance also offers peace of mind when you’re on the road. If it’s been awhile since your last insurance check-up, give us a call today. We’ll help ensure you have the right coverage.
Contact us for all of your insurance needs!
Illinois and Wisconsin residents, at R Hobbs Insurance Agency, we can work with you to make sure you've got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call at (847) 680-0888 or send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what's important to you is protected!
Content Source: Safeco Insurance